When you think about a parking lot, you probably don't think about all of the accidents that can occur in the few moments that you're driving, parking or walking. Unfortunately, accidents occur in parking lots more often than you might think. Here, you'll find a few tips that will help you stay safe in a parking lot and advice for what to do if you are injured.
Tips for Preventing Parking Lot Accidents
- Put down the distractions. You are about to be parked, so why must you fidget with your phone as you work to find a parking spot?
- Slow down. You don't need to fly through the parking lot racing to the parking spot closest to the door. Go slow and watch for cars backing out of spots, children and adults crossing the lot and obstacles that could either damage your vehicle or cause damage to someone else's.
- Pull the whole way through the parking spots so that you won't have to back out of the parking spot when you leave.
- Park far from the entrance. Most people opt to park as close to the entrance as physically possible, but if you park far away, you'll have fewer cars and pedestrians to worry about – this decreases the chances of your car getting hit and will make it easier for you to see what's going on around you as you drive.
- Be aware as you're walking. You are more likely to be injured in a parking lot while you're outside of your car. Be aware of all of the vehicles moving in the parking lot. Watch for back-up lights before you cross behind the parked cars – the driver may not be able to see you before they back out.
What to do if you're Injured in a Parking Lot
If you're injured in a parking lot, you will need to seek medical treatment, but you also need to make sure that the owner or management of the property is aware of the incident. As soon as you're physically up to making some phone calls, you'll need to talk with a personal accident attorney as soon as possible. The longer you wait to contact a lawyer, the more likely the evidence could be lost or destroyed.
There are all sorts of accidents that occur in parking lots. Contact a law firm, like Caldwell Kennedy & Porter, if you need more help after an accident.